Cooking is fun for me.
It relaxes me. It’s creative. It’s fun. It challenges me. And it makes me so happy to serve a very good dish to my family.
So this weekend, I made homemade three cheese ravioli. A must do again. SO delicious. Served with a tomato sauce topped with pesto and fresh Parmesan.
For the little story behind my pasta machine. We live in West Africa, and many years ago when we were newly weds, my husband surprised me and brought this pasta machine from the USA for a gift. I still don’t know how he brought it without me seeing it ! We used to find very rarely lasagna pasta and it was just the perfect gift.
So here it goes … homemade cheese ravioli
2 cups of flour
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons of water
1 container of ricotta cheese (you can make ricotta or buy it)
4 square of kiri (or half of cream cheese)
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
a pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper
- On a work place, put flour and salt together and form a well. Beat the teaspoon of olive oil, 2 eggs, and water in a bowl. Pour half the egg mixture into the well. Begin mixing the egg with the flour with one hand; use your other hand to keep the flour mound steady. Add the remaining egg mixture and knead to form a dough.
- Knead the dough until smooth, and can form as a ball. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the ravioli filling. Combine the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set the filling aside.
- In a separate saucepan, make a marinara sauce over medium-low heat.
- Roll out the pasta dough into thin sheets -on 8. To assemble the ravioli, brush the egg wash over a sheet of pasta. Drop the filling mixture on the dough by teaspoonfuls about one inch apart. Cover the filling with the top sheet of pasta, pressing out the air from around each portion of filling. Cut into individual ravioli with pizza cutter. Press with a fork firmly around the filling to seal. Place on a floured cookie sheet.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the ravioli, and return to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the ravioli float to the top and the filling is hot, 4 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Before serving the ravioli, add to a skillet 2-3 tablespoons of butter and 2 cloves of garlic crushed. Add ravioli.
- To serve the ravioli, divide them among four warmed serving bowls. Drizzle the marinara sauce over the ravioli and then top with pesto and fresh pamesan.
SIMPLY the best …