I love visiting friends and discovering some of their best recipes – this is what happened recently as we were in New Orleans. For breakfast our host Beth Perkins brought out of her fridge this amazing granola. All I love in a granola : crunchiness, wonderful taste with honey and healthiness. SO of course I had to take note of her recipe that was handed down by her daughter in law. As we just moved into our new place for several months, this granola was the first thing I made, I need to say I already modified it a bit- but that’s what is fun right ?
And it was so delicious.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hour
3 cups of quick cooking oats
1 cups of All Bran buds
1/4 cup mixture of flax seeds and Chia seeds
1/2 cup of coconut (natural)
1/3 cup of honey
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of canola oil
2 tablespoons of warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1. preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C.)
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet
3. In a large bowl mix oats, All brand buds, chia seeds, flax seeds.
4. In a separate bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, honey, salt, warm water and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add coconut (you can replace with any other nuts- we also like with almonds, walnuts, pecans)
5. Place on baking sheet and cook for an hour, mixing every 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool before putting your granola into a glass jar.
Now I need to share a secret that Beth told me, place your jar in the fridge and it will always be crispy. I especially love granola on top of fresh fruit and Greek Yogurt.