This recipe makes 2 9x 13 baklava – it’s so delicious. I like when the baklava is not to sweet and soaking in syrup. SO the syrup recipe is good for the 2 pans.
1 package phyllo dough (in 1 box you get 2 package)
1/2 pound chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans chopped small)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup butter – more as needed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of honey
1 tsp cinnamon
3 important secrets:
- prepare filling before you unwrap the phyllo dough
- precut baklava before you bake
- as soon as your baklava comes out pour hot syrup on.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9×13 inch pan.
- Chop nuts and mix with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll package of phyllo dough. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work. Place one sheet of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle nut mixture on top. Top again one sheet at time and butter dough. After a few more sheets add nuts. The top layer should be about 6 – 8 sheets deep.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. Bake for about 45 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
- Make syrup while baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. This freezes well. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.