This is a fantastic recipe- very moist and just delicious – TRES LECHES CAKE
is a Mexican cake made with 3 milk: milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk.
I took this recipe from The Pioneer woman ! Wanted to make a cake for a get together with some Mexican Friends on Cinco de Mayo.
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 5 whole Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar, Divided
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Sweetened, Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 pint Heavy Cream, For Whipping
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan liberally until coated.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high speed until yolks are pale yellow.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir very gently until combined.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg white mixture into the batter very gently until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You can turn cake out onto a rimmed platter and allow to cool or keep in the pan.
- Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream in a small pitcher. When cake is cool, pierce the surface with a fork several times. Slowly drizzle all but about 1 cup of the milk mixture—try to get as much around the edges of the cake as you can.
- Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for 30 minutes. To ice the cake, whip 1 pint heavy cream with 3 tablespoons of sugar until thick and spreadable. Spread over the surface of the cake.
- Decorate cake with whole or chopped maraschino cherries. Cut into squares and serve.