Julia Child’s boeuf bourguignon is AMAZING!
This is my take on her recipe.
- 4-5 slices of center cut bacon
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups red wine, young and full-bodied (like Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone or Burgundy- I used La veille Ferme )
- 2 cups brown beef stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 10 small white onions
- 1 pound mushrooms, fresh and quartered
- Cook slices of bacon in the microwave.– when cooked, keep aside. – You will need just 4-5 slices.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take your piece of beef and cut into pieces.– I took the leanest cut.
- Dry beef in paper towels; it will not brown if it is damp. Heat Extra Virgin Olive oil in casserole. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Remove and keep aside.
7. In a covered casserole that can go in the oven, put the beef, crumble slices of bacon, add carrots together.
8.Stir in wine and 2 to 3 cups stock, just enough so that the meat is barely covered.
10.Cover casserole and set in lower third of oven. Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.
12. Clean and cut in slices mushrooms. Sauté in some olive oil with crushed garlic.
13. When the meat is tender add mushrooms and onions. Let cook 30 more minutes together. Add wine/bouillon if needed.
serve with small potatoes, noodles or rice and French peas.