This cake is one of our favorites. Found it on the Eating well website. It’ s a guilt free cake as it is with whole wheat flour and ONLY 2 tablespoons of oil. I reduced the sugar by 1/2. Delicious out of the oven with fresh strawberries, whip cream and melted chocolate on top.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour (the recipe calls for whole-wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (to make your own: 1/2 cup of non fat milk and 1 tablespoon of apple cider or white vinegar)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot strong black coffee ( I use decaf)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla. Beat with a whisk.
- Add hot coffee and beat to blend. (The batter will be quite thin.) Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan.
- During this time melt chocolate chips in a double broiler.
- Serve cake with some melted chocolate and fresh strawberries. You can add some whip cream. Dust the top with confectioners’ sugar.