This sweet bread is a tradition in our home ! I make it on Saturday for our Sunday Breakfast !Well we often have to taste it right out of the oven. This bread is made also for Easter, New Years day with a coin. Love it with blueberry jam and a good cup of coffee.
makes 2 braided loaves
1 c milk
4 1/2 – 51/2 c flour divided ( I recently started using bread flour and it makes a softer chewy bread)
3/4 c sugar (I put 1/2 c)
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
1 egg yolk (for brushing)
1 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
2 tbsp orange juice (optional)
2 tsp orange zest (optional)
2 tsp vanilla
- Heat milk to warm and pour in bowl with 1 1/2 c of flour, sugar and yeast- cover and rest 30 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time to the yeast mixture.
- Add another cup of flour, (orange zest), salt, softened butter, vanilla (and orange juice).
- Mix well and add gradually flour to form a soft sticky dough. Knead.
- Coat a bowl with oil and pour dough in it until all dough is lightly coated. Cover and let rise until double in size.
Push down and make 2 braided loaves and let rise.
STEPS TO BRAIDING YOUR SWEET BREAD
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes and Kali orexi !