It was my daughters birthday yesterday and she loves vanilla cake so found this recipe of a yellow cake that is amazing.
Yield: Two 9-inch round, 2-inch tall cake layers, and, in theory, 22 to 24 cupcakes, two 8-inch squares or a 9×13 single-layer cake.
4 cups plus 2 tablespoons (480 grams) cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 grams) table salt
2 sticks (1 cup or 225 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (400 grams) sugar
2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups buttermilk (475 ml), well-shaken – I make my own ( 2 cups of low fat milk and add 1 tbsp of white vinegar)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans and line with circles of parchment paper, then butter parchment. (Alternately, you can use a cooking spray, either with just butter or butter and flour to speed this process up.)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- At low speed, beat in buttermilk until just combined (mixture will look curdled). Add flour mixture in three batches, mixing until each addition is just incorporated.
- Spread batter evenly in cake pan, then rap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles. (I like to drop mine a few times from two inches up, making a great big noisy fuss.)
- Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a knife around edge of pan. Invert onto rack and discard parchment, then cool completely, about 1 hour
Now it’s the time to make the buttercream. I use a simple recipe with ONLY BUTTER ! Yes I am FRENCH !
Here is the recipe I use :
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM RECIPE
1 cup of butter softened
3-4 cups of icing sugar
if to thick you can add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
Mix and ready to use!
For decoration, be creative, think what your child likes – I invented mine in the store as I walking around and thinking how I could decorate her cake. It was a BIG HIT ! And the cake was simply delicious.