My husband just loves Mousse au chocolat. This was his choice of dessert for his birthday.
The recipe comes from the book French Women Don’t Get Fat from Mireille Guiliano
So here it is …
Serves: 6 for us it serves 3
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (I use
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks (I use pasteurized eggs)
- 5 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. (Since I don’t have a double boiler, I make my own by placing a glass heat proof bowl over a medium-size saucepan.)
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- Let the chocolate cool a bit and then stir in the yolks, one at a time.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold ⅓ of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remaining whites, being very gentle so you don’t deflate the whites.
- Divide the mousse evenly among 6 (or 3) small dessert dishes or pour into a serving bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours until firm. I often do it overnight.